Oklahoma Hardship Drivers’ Licenses: What You Need to Know

Oklahoma Hardship Drivers’ Licenses: What You Need to Know

Oklahoma Hardship Drivers’ Licenses: What You Need to Know

When your driver’s license gets suspended or revoked because of a DUI arrest or another reason, you may have grounds to get a hardship driver’s license. A hardship driver’s license is called a “modified license” or “hardship permit” by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety. It allows you to drive to and from specified places while your regular driving privileges are still suspended.

A hardship permit gives you permission to drive only to a few places. You cannot run errands or go visit relatives unless someone else drives. You can drive to a few places specified on the permit, which could include:

  • Work
  • School/college
  • Alcohol treatment programs
  • Court
  • Church
  • During only daylight hours

Where you can drive will depend on the reason for your hardship. For example, if you cannot get to your job on public transportation and no one can give you a ride, you may be able to apply for a hardship permit. If you can show that you will suffer significant financial or practical difficulties without a license, you may have a stronger case for the modified license.

For some drivers accused of driving under the influence, the state of Oklahoma may require installation of ignition interlock devices before they can get modified licenses. An ignition interlock device attaches to your car ignition and acts like a breathalyzer – if you breathe into it and have been drinking, you will not be able to start the car.

If you refused a roadside breathalyzer test or a blood test for alcohol, then the police officer most likely revoked your driver’s license. You then have 15 days to request an administrative hearing to fight the revocation. You can ask for a modified license at the hearing if needed. If you lose the hearing, and the DPS either did not grant a modified license or you did not ask for one, the only way to possibly get a modified license is to appeal. You have to file a petition in the district court challenging the hearing result.

If you need to file a petition or are waiting for your administrative hearing, talk to a lawyer. People who hire lawyers to represent them in court or at a hearing tend to have better results in their cases.

Need an attorney for DUI charges in Oklahoma? Seek out the attorney who is in court nearly every day and teaches other attorneys and law enforcement about sobriety testing techniques. Clint Patterson, Esq., of Patterson Law Firm, a former Tulsa prosecutor now using his trial experience and expert-level knowledge of DUI science to defend drivers, has the experience and the insight to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your case. To schedule a case evaluation, visit Patterson Law Firm online or call Clint’s office at (918) 550-9175.